Subject: Re: One Word - NEON!
From: Joe Angell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 17:18:30 -0400 (EDT)

>      Is there and *easy* or HARD way to make convincable looking neon 
> in LW?
> 

Well, there is that Glow button in 4.0... DOH!  you have an Amiga, don't 
you :)

Actually, Mark Thompson's In.Focus CD mentions how to do this with both 
the Glow attribute and without.

Possible option:  (also based on snippets of a LWPro article I remember I 
think by Mark Thompson...)

Make your text, or object, or whatever.  Put it in the BG layer.  Create 
either a series of points and convert it into a spline, or use the Sketch 
tool to connect make the spline.  It should connect each letter together 
like real Neon lights.

Go to a 3rd layer, and make a disc.  Rail Extrude the disc along the 
spline you made, and give it a surface name of "NEON-INNER"  Assuming you 
made the disc the right size, it looks like the letter are made up of a 
single tube.

Go to the 4th layer, and make a disc a little bigger than the 1st one, 
and Rail Extrude it along the same spline.  Surface it with "NEON-GLOW" 
(you can skip this whole step with LW4.0, and just use the Glow button). 
Save both of these layers as the same object, NeonText.

For surfacing, try making the Inner surface 100% luminous, and the Glow 
surface about 50% transparent.  If you want, you can make more "glow" 
tubes, making each Glow tube more transparent as it gets further from the 
center.

Hope this helps...

-- Joe
--
Joe Angell <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]